Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Whatever happened to Sam?

I've been surprised that I haven't seen more discussion on the recent events in Sam and Fuzzy.

So. Half a year ago, Sam and Fuzzy wrapped up one hell of a storyline. And then the dynamic duo took the last bus out of town, and drove off into parts unknown.

Since then, well... stuff has happened. What I've really been grooving on are the little vignettes with the blank mask ninja - a rather likeable character - tracing the path they took, prepared to hunt them down for... well, vengeance, death, etc, presumably.

The rest of our time has been occupied by the band Noosehead, which has added a whole pile of new characters to the show. They've engaged in hijinks and drama - often instigated by our good friend Fuzzy, who seems to have joined their crew.

And it's good stuff. I mean, I don't think Sam Logan could make a bad comic if he tried. The strip still brings the funny, the strip still brings the story.

But still.... somewhere, in the back of our minds, we're wondering - Where's Sam?

Well, guess he's been right under our noses all this time.

Shocking!
The last few strips have hinted at, and then outright revealed, the truth: Aaron, one of the random roadies we've been introduced to, turns out to be Sam in disguise.

And it works. I mean, once you know what to look for, you can see Sam underneath. Looking back through the archives, you can see some of the signs. Heck, maybe everyone else figured this out months ago, and it was only a surprise to me.

Anyway. Sam's back. Sam is back!

Where does that leave us?

Sam has the right of it - all the mafia ninjas may have wandered on their merry way, but one still remains, tracking him down. We don't know much about him, but it seems clear that we're building up to a showdown.

From there? I suspect we'll be bidding Noosehead goodbye for a while. While there is still conflict within the band itself, I don't think it will stay that way forever.

Of course, things are nice and peaceful back in the world Sam left behind, too.

(Also, anyone notice that the person 'Aaron' really looks like is Lance?)

Anyway, I can't really tell where Sam and Fuzzy will be heading in the long run. But I sure as hell am glad that Sam is back in one form or another, and suspect the upcoming showdown will live up to the caliber of story that Logan has been recently cranking out.

So welcome back, Sam. Ninjas and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, I'm not convinced that this is Sam. Aaron could just as easily be the other ninja they left with on the bus. Jackson? Something like that.

He's acting a lot like Sam right now, but prolonged exposure to Fuzzy does that to people anyway, and his behaviour before now hasn't been very Sam-like.

Of course, however this turns out, it's virtually guaranteed to be brilliant. I love this strip.

Myth said...

Damn, I didn't even think of that possibility!

Checking out the Sam and Fuzzy forums, it looks like there remains a lot of speculation over whether it it Sam or Jackson in disguise.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to keep reading. Now the suspense is even worse! That clever bastard.

Scott Thornton said...

I don't think it is Jackson, I don't think Logan would put such a red herring up in front of his audience after the build-up to this moment.
I'm glad to see how S&F has become a strip with far more narrative and textuality, it hasn't been swamped over with cheap melodrama or anything else.