Monday, June 05, 2006

I'll never be able to look at a flaming car the same way again.

So I went and saw X-Men 3 the other day.

I won't go into too much of a review of the movie myself - others have already covered everything I could say.

In the end, it had quite a few nice touches I liked, some plot decisions I did not, but proved to be enjoyable in spire of my disagreements with it. So that's cool by me.

The movie-watching experience itself, unfortunately, went less than smoothly - upon seating ourselves for the movie, we discovered a band of twenty or so hooligans who proceeded to shout, laugh, throw shit, and do their best to ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Rather than get in a confrontation with that crowd, we consulted the theater managers - who seemed similarly disinclined to confront that many people. So, instead, they just moved us into the next showing for free. As good a solution as possible, I suppose.

Even in that room, we had a small infestation of warbling chattybitch just behind us - but compared to the previous scofflaws, hardly worth the effort of being irritated by.

The upside of the shift, meanwhile, was getting to see all the freaking awesome previews before each show. Ghost Rider, Pirates 2, Superman, etc - all the good stuff. (Also: that one with the angry superchick throwing a shark through a window. Wicked.)

The one that really sparked my interest was 3 Fast 3 Furious... er, Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Now, watching the trailer made it look really cool. But I've never been a car person in general. I fell asleep during the original the Fast and the Furious, and I found Initial D to be the worst show I had ever seen in my life.

For a while, I had thought I just didn't like the subject matter - but Misfile has managed to keep me entertained - and not only that, but has had me actively excited and engaged during the racing scenes, and intrigued by the racing tricks and tactics.

So maybe the lesson is simply that it is a subject only interesting to me when done right.

Also, I don't know why, but I really thought the flaming car manuever rocked, as silly as it was. I mean, flaming cars. I am a man obsessed.

No comments: