Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Frivolities

So, first off. Obligatory discussion of Wii. Yeah.

Like everyone else talking about it, it fails to appeal to me as a name. Or as a gaming system. Or as a philosophical concept.

Of the various rants about it, I think Logan said it best - I'm not all that concerned about the "filthy joke novelty" of it, I'm just concerned that it doesn't work for me as a word.

It just sounds bizarre, and has trouble rolling off my tongue. Will that change? Perhaps. Give it long enough, and it could forge its way into sensibility.

But still. Wii.

They came so close to an excellent name for a gaming system, too! Ah well, maybe next time.

Moving on - in addition to his wise thoughts on the Wii, Logan continues to show us how awesome ninjas are. I just can't say no to ninjas! Because, see, they'd kill me if I did.

Finally, the most exciting thing currently going on is over at the Digital Pimp. The big showdown between George and Joe is coming to a head, and this is a moment I've been hella waiting for! (Apologies for use of the word "hella.")

What really impresses me isn't that we've had this big dramatic story in a strip devoted to one-shot weekly jokes. Nah, what really gets me is how much of this little plot was developed not through the comic itself, but outside of it - in the newsposts. In the forums. Throughout the website entire. The comic itself was just part of the medium for telling the story.

Little references to the whole shebang showed up here and there in the strips, sure, and someone reading the comic alone wouldn't have any trouble reading through the whole arc without pause.

But there was that extra step for those looking behind the scenes. That takes imagination, and that takes skill. I thoroughly approve.

And now we've got the pay-off about to hit. I'm all a-shiver with anticipation.

It's been a great comic from the start. The art is fantastic. The jokes are generally dead-on. I mean, I've never been one to see all that many movies, and I used to be dead set against shelling out cash for bad ones - but when I read the comics? I feel the need to get in on it.

Cause Joe Loves Crappy Movies... and now, I do too.

No comments: